It all began in 2016 when Liz Brown (a Registered General Nurse in the UK) registered with Malaga College of Nursing as an ‘enfermera’. Her original plan was to do ‘some nursing’ in a district nurse capacity, as there was no service like this in her region of Spain. Over the years, the task grew and it became obvious that a team approach was needed, which is how the English Nurse Care Team came to be…
The English Nurse Care Team now provides services and support for many patients throughout Andalucía, Spain – from weekly domestic services to 24-hour, live-in home care.
We aim to ensure our patients have the highest quality of care and attention at all times, with comfort, dignity and compassion – as well as maintaining regular communication with their families.
The English Nurse Care Team offers a wide range of services, provided by our Registered Nurses and fully trained Carers, including:
- Household chores, including shopping assistance.
- Attending doctor and hospital appointments, including transport, translation, and pharmacy runs to purchase medicines. We can also arrange further support from the GP, if necessary.
- Hospital sitting services. Our nurses will visit a patient as often as required, liaise with the hospital doctors, and make an assessment plan. We will also purchase necessities from local shops, take care of any needs that arise during a hospital stay, and keep family/next of kin fully updated.
- Discharge from hospital services. Our carers can be there to meet the patient and transport them safely home, doing the shopping, supplying any equipment and medication needed, and assisting with personal care.
- Rehabilitation at home. We will provide any equipment needed for your at-home rehabilitation, and our carers will support exercise routines, to help avoid uncomfortable and complicated trips to clinics.
- Medical care at home. Our nurses are fully trained to provide basic medical care in your home, including injections, redressing wounds, managing PEG fees, removing clips and stitches, syringe ears, assist in respiratory issues and carry out bowel care and advise on medication and diet.
- A ‘Falls Team’ is available 24 hours, on-call, to attend any possible accident. Once called, our carer will arrive promptly, assess any possible injuries, and lift the patient with our new ‘Raizer Chair’. If needed, they will call the ambulance services and accompany the patient to a hospital, contacting family/next of kin to ensure clear communication is provided at all times.
- 24-hour palliative care (end of life). We have a specially skilled team, including carers and Nurse Support, to care for your loved one at home – under the care of the state doctor or a private physician. We know how the Spanish system works and can obtain the correct medications in good time to ensure comfort and peace of mind in the final stages.
- Bereavement counselling. We have a qualified bereavement counsellor on our team to support family/next of kin, as needed.
Our 24-hour care team are fully trained – with our approved CQC recognised training scheme – to provide personal care, housekeeping, catering, and much more!
Our nurses are registered both in the UK and in Spain, with the Malaga College of Nursing. They work closely alongside local health authority colleagues and are well known and highly respected.
We have Spanish/English translators on the team, who know their way around the Spanish health system. We also have good knowledge of the funeral procedure in Spain and the legalities, and can organise health-related or financial Power of Attorney, if required.
All team members are police checked, fully insured, uniformed and carry identification – to guarantee our patients’ safety and security at all times.